Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cemetery Cigarettes



As a yearly tradition, we visited the cemetery on our Halloween holidays and as expected traffic and a large volume of people will be there. As usual we packed things like candles, flowers and some food and snacks, its like a whole day event where we remember the beloved relatives and friend who past away by lighting a candle, offering prayers and flowers.

During the visit, while we were walking, we past by this unusual headstone. Normally candles are lighted up, but with this one, it was cigarettes. A pack of cigarettes and a box of match was also left infront of the headstone it looks to me as it was an offering instead of the usual flowers.

I got curious and decided to hang around this headstone, there lay (according to the engraving) a 22 year old man who died 2 years ago. when I was about to leave 2 man visited, they light up a cigarette and after some puffs they put the cigarettes in a miniature vase (for flowers) and lay it infront of the headstone. Surely, it was his friends who is visiting him, the mystery is why are they lighting up cigarettes instead of candles. My guess is that the guy probably dies from a cigarette smoking related cause and that they remember him as a happy smoking dude! or maybe they are a bunch of hardcore cigarette smokers who is in a race to die young (he wins! LOL! just kidding!). I may never know but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be remembered ( If I die) as a guy killed by cigarette smoking! STOP SMOKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment